It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Selling your watches...how? 
Elite Member

Post Selling your watches...how?
So, on another forum someone liked one of my experiments and said they would buy a watch like it. It was a comment, not a commitment. It got me wondering if I could/should put together a second one and try to sell it.
It's one of my earlier watches and all the parts are Chinese. (They know that.)
Case($30)+movement(35)+dial (15)+hands(10)=$90 in parts. Then shipping is 10... So $100 total.
The complete original Parnis(different dial/hand configuration) sells for about $100 on ebay.

The question is how do you price it so it's worth the effort but still a fair price?

Also, is it fair to sell it 'as-is'?

Thoughts?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am
Sponsor

Post Re: Selling your watches...how?
macosie wrote:
So, on another forum someone liked one of my experiments and said they would buy a watch like it. It was a comment, not a commitment. It got me wondering if I could/should put together a second one and try to sell it.
It's one of my earlier watches and all the parts are Chinese. (They know that.)
Case($30)+movement(35)+dial (15)+hands(10)=$90 in parts. Then shipping is 10... So $100 total.
The complete original Parnis(different dial/hand configuration) sells for about $100 on ebay.

The question is how do you price it so it's worth the effort but still a fair price?

Also, is it fair to sell it 'as-is'?

Thoughts?

Your watch has to be different enough for someone to pay more than they can get it on ebay. There has to be a serious unique factor.

Forget about getting even minimum wage out of your efforts. Go into building and selling as an expensive hobby, do it for the love of the hobby. One that will generate cash flow, small margins and allow you to have a little spending money, but remember the headaches that come with it. PP chargebacks and people that complain. You need to sense the trouble buyers up front and not take their orders. Those that ask a ridiculous amount of silly questions up front are going to be a problem when they receive the watch, they will never be happy and it's not worth accepting their order.

Selling "as is" is fine, you are being up front, but it will greatly depreciate your pool of people that are interested in the purchase. Remember very few people have the skills or knowledge to fix a watch that has issues. A $100 or $200 watch is not worth someone taking to a watchsmith for repairs.

Hope that helps

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Elite Member

blueradish wrote:

Your watch has to be different enough for someone to pay more than they can get it on ebay. There has to be a serious unique factor.

Forget about getting even minimum wage out of your efforts. Go into building and selling as an expensive hobby, do it for the love of the hobby. One that will generate cash flow, small margins and allow you to have a little spending money, but remember the headaches that come with it. PP chargebacks and people that complain. You need to sense the trouble buyers up front and not take their orders. Those that ask a ridiculous amount of silly questions up front are going to be a problem when they receive the watch, they will never be happy and it's not worth accepting their order.

Selling "as is" is fine, you are being up front, but it will greatly depreciate your pool of people that are interested in the purchase. Remember very few people have the skills or knowledge to fix a watch that has issues. A $100 or $200 watch is not worth someone taking to a watchsmith for repairs.

Hope that helps

I don't think I have the knowledge or patience to try to make money from these watches. It was more of a ego thing... Someone showed interest in something I put together.

I might put one together and try to sell it for a tiny profit(if any). More of an excuse to clean out my spare parts drawer and pad my ego if it sells.

Funny thing is I wouldn't post it here, it's too beginner stuff, as are my spare dials and hands(all Parnis ebay stuff).

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm
Elite Member

Consider it as expensive hobby... Selling your finished projects will raise funds fro new projects. In cumulative way, you will get some extra money, if you have luck... Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... But remember the feeling you have when you finish your project? That is invaluable experience...
Many time you will have to do some experiments, but some parts or things you don't need... Also, buying tools is expensive sport, and you can't finish your project without proper tools.

Making something unique enough is first reason so it can be desirable for other people... Generally, everyone has it's own attitude and opinion. Some people like engraved cases, some prefer to have sterile cases, so they can tune it further...
My opinion and I always stick to that:
I would never sell a watch that I can't put on my wrist, meaning I must like it for some weird reason... Otherwise, I wouldn't buy it at start, it would'n t be in my possession...
I would never sell mechanically bad watch, which means movement is not functioning properly, as accurate a possible, serviced etc... Exclusion is when you sell it for parts, but you must highlight that fact
I prefer clean builds and attention to details. Slight imperfections can be personal touch, but not a mess :D
If you are building something, that means you know every detail of that build. So you must highlight that too, write every detail so people will know in advance what is all about
Also, you should stand behind your work and give some guarantee on that...
Sh*t happens, take that in consideration too... However, you should be prepared for that and be ready to provide finest possible "customer support"... However, if you are sure about your stuff, you can minimize the risk
Learning curve - you're never too old to learn. Best knowledge an be obtained by practice (and errors...)
Buyers community is large enough, but specific. We all are buying and selling this stuff because we like timepieces, not the money at first place... So specific taste is essential: someone like pilot homages, someone like small watches from 1930's...
Patience is essential... Build take so much time (my wife getting crazy when I say that..) As you dive into this hobby, you'll notice that percent of finished projects is always much smaller than unfinished ones. Get used to have drawers full of parts and "ongoing" projects, usually waiting for some needed parts etc...

Hope this helps a little, if I'm not offtopic ;)

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 am
Elite Member

Maybe this is an odd situation. It's not really a big build.

My big problem is that I don't want to sell my Experiments. Actually, I'm planning on selling some of my other watches, to help fund improvements to this current batch and for future projects. That said, cloning some of my experiments is something I'm open too.

Like I said, that comment in a different forum sparked the idea to see if someone would really buy something I put together? I am interested in trying because, for the most part, I already have the parts. I was planning to make a second one to give to a family member, but changed my mind.

All I need is a case and maybe a movement, so I bought a parts watch. It's one of the watches that Parnis makes with the case I want, but different dial and hands. I was planning on selling the dial and using the hands for something else but, unfortunately, the movement is a basic asian 6498 without any movement decoration, which I find strange since it's a display caseback. It's probably the budget of the budget 6498 movements. So, I will upgrade it with the last of my Asian 6498s. I was debating where to use it, since I've been using Swiss movements. The other 3 from that batch have been good to me, so I'm confident that a buyer will be happy. I'll probably ebay the budget one with dial and a set of hands with the hope of recouping a little.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I'll probably let this thread die on this side... See you in homage-forum.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]