It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
back to basics....less is more. 
VIP Member

Post back to basics....less is more.
I remember my first real watch. About 15 years ago I was a young guy and had just started making some real money and I remember walking past jewelers and oggling all of the luxury pieces. I remember setting my goal and saving until I could finally afford the one I wanted. I was so proud of the Montblanc sport chronograph that I got. Brand new and shiny as hell. I wore that thing for ten years straight. Every scratch and nick was me.

I sold the thing about 2 years ago, because it's time had come. My tastes had changed and I also wanted to sell the watch due to negative energy. Things had gone really south with the Co. and old boss, and it was time to clean the karma banks. The watch was a constant reminder of negative feelings.

It has been about 5 years since I started really "collecting". Whatever that means. However, I have noticed that my attachment to my watches has changed. I don't have a "my watch". I love all of the pieces in my collection, but I am not capable of really loving them, because things have become convoluted. There are too many. They have lost their mystique.

I am now in the process of trying to free myself of the mass of the collection. I want to concentrate on a few really great pieces and be fine with that. I want to find my early enthusiasm again. I have set my goal at 4...but am I capable of that.

Less is more.

This is my collection now no to mention a few that have been lent to friends (Benrus type 1 reissue, Heuer carrera, Tudor 7016). 15+- including a handful of frankens 2 X 9401, 7032, another Fifty Fathoms, and a WL that I am currently workking on, but to what end?

I really like most of them and they are (gens, homages (FAF), and frankens) for the most part very integral pieces in the history of watches, and on top of that I have owned dozens of flipped watches from speedmasters to benruses to jaegers to pams to B&Rs to hanharts to Rollies to A. lange, Gens and homages alike etc. The connection is missing and I want to see if that can be rediscovered and newly enjoyed. #cleaninghouse #minimalism #lessismore #reconnect

"This is my watch. This is my story."

Thoughts?

Last edited by bennykwa on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 am
Watch Geek

Post Re: back to basics....less is more.
I have found over time that the watches I actually wear when looking in the watch box in the morning are the ones that I have done something to. Most of the watches that I have owned, be they gen, rep, or homage, have been moved on if I have never had the caseback off and tinkered with it.
Of course round here that won't help anyone trim down their collections significantly, just my experience.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 am
Watch Fanatic

You have a beautiful collection Benny. I understand where you're coming from, though. I have a struggle too, especially with watches I built. I'm attached to them, but they spend so much time in the box that I question the point in holding on to them. I think I've reached a point where I need to do some serious consolidation. I've been craving a speed master pro for years now and I'm a little disappointed that I still haven't gotten my hands on one, and I know for sure that with the amount of money I've spent buying and flipping and building I could have easily bought one for now... It's tough.
Surprised you sold that montblanc tho, I don't think I'd be capable is selling something that I wore on the daily for ten years. My Tissot which used to be my daily wear before I caught the bug gets zero wrist time now, but I could never sell it. Hell, I'm even having a tough time deciding what to do with a watch my ex wife bought me as an anniversary gift year ago, but I guess I'm weird like that.

One thing I have realized about myself though is that my tastes are constantly evolving, there was even a time where I kind of fell out of love with the whole Pam homage thing, but then it came back so I've kind of resolved that there will never be a 'forever' set of watches for me, because in a way it'll mean that I won't still be looking at new or old but new to me things.

Hope that made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 am
VIP Member

Ciccio_started_it wrote:
You have a beautiful collection Benny.

Surprised you sold that montblanc tho, I don't think I'd be capable is selling something that I wore on the daily for ten years. My Tissot which used to be my daily wear before I caught the bug gets zero wrist time now, but I could never sell it. Hell, I'm even having a tough time deciding what to do with a watch my ex wife bought me as an anniversary gift year ago, but I guess I'm weird like that.

One thing I have realized about myself though is that my tastes are constantly evolving, there was even a time where I kind of fell out of love with the whole Pam homage thing, but then it came back so I've kind of resolved that there will never be a 'forever' set of watches for me, because in a way it'll mean that I won't still be looking at new or old but new to me things.

Hope that made sense.

Thanks.

It was time. I had also "evolved" and the watch didn't fit my tastes anymore. I really enjoyed it for ten years, but it was time to pass it on. I try not to get emotionally attached to material things, but I understand exactly where you are coming from.

My cousin has a great collection. Every watch, be it a reverso, 5513, 1675, speedmaster, super ocean, etc was bought to celebrate a milestone. He will never sell because they all have a meaning to him. I greatly appreciate that, but think differently. I am a little jealous of his relationship with his watches, though. The problem is that sooner or later you have a collection of 30 watches where you are connected to each one, but what does that do to the connection? I don't have enough in me to share with that many different parties. The more watches I have the less they each individually mean to me.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:42 am
VIP Member

I spoke to Akira about this a year ago and his insight was pretty phenomenal. Own what you can afford and wear it and be happy.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:05 am
VIP Member

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:21 am
VIP Member

dilligaf24824 wrote:

That second hand though. 8-) :thumbup: :clap:

I really like the set that you have created. I remember all of the great pieces you sold. You have a really nice cross section of styles in these select pieces. I dig it.

sheeeit......knocking it down to 3 is a task and a half. :sick:

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:35 pm
VIP Member

The key to this all is walking in your own truth. We are not collectors; we are enthusiasts and it ends there.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:52 pm
VIP Member

dilligaf24824 wrote:
The key to this all is walking in your own truth. We are not collectors; we are enthusiasts and it ends there.

meaning of course that you also have to accept the different truths of others around you. #putabirdonit

I agree, I am also not a collector and don't strive to be. I wear all of my watches and consider them all to be "useable art" (and sometimes not bad fun little investments). But "collecting" for me implies an attitude towards these things that I don't like. It turns a hobby into something calculating and cold. However, I maintain the search for knowledge as a collector would.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:14 am

Nice collection!
Can you tell me the dimensions of the top right rolex?
I have a vintage movement and dial and I want to find a case for it. Is that a franken?

Cheers!

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:23 am
VIP Member

Deckard wrote:
Nice collection!
Can you tell me the dimensions of the top right rolex?
I have a vintage movement and dial and I want to find a case for it. Is that a franken?

Cheers!

Hi, top right? that is actually a 1914 Waltham officer's watch. British reference. Bought in France so you know it saw some shit.

26mm.

It's the original HF mascot Tiny Tim. ))

@martin, get to building yours, fugger.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:26 am

Oh I see!
Wow a very interesting piece!
Thanks

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:14 am
VIP Member

Deckard wrote:
Oh I see!
Wow a very interesting piece!
Thanks

anytime ))

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:25 am
VIP Member

You lost me Ben. I'm not sure I get your point.

You have 6 fake watches in your collection and two gens you barely wear (laco and the waltman). My attitude towards these builds is quite simple: have one really nice piece that reminds me of the greatness that can be achieved on this forum.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:29 am
VIP Member

Your line up should be: Prev, 1675 and Heuer.

Prev a solid build
1675 a fantastic piece
A chronograph Heuer

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:35 am
VIP Member

dilligaf24824 wrote:
Your line up should be: Prev, 1675 and Heuer.

Prev a solid build
1675 a fantastic piece
A chronograph Heuer

I hear ya. This is probably gonna be painful. ;)))

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks for the pic. I like vintage military watches.
My personal preference is un branded homage watches. Although i do think some of the P stamped watches look beautiful I don't see the need to have company name on it. I aim to build one grail without branding but horses for courses!

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:49 am
VIP Member

Deckard wrote:
Thanks for the pic. I like vintage military watches.
My personal preference is un branded homage watches. Although i do think some of the P stamped watches look beautiful I don't see the need to have company name on it. I aim to build one grail without branding but horses for courses!

I agree. However, I find that most sterile builds are missing something. I agree about the branding not needing to be present, but some design elements are necessary on the dial imo. I really like the military T or Arrow for these situations. ))))

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:57 am

Some wording is necessary , just need to be a little creative :)

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:55 am
VIP Member

I really love trying all on sorts of different styles and models. The initial variety really helped me zoom into the things that really spoke to me. They all have something, but some special ones really stand out as keepers. So, off the rest go until they find the exact owner that is right for them and vice versa.

Also, I love models that are easily influenced. Which is one reason why I really got into an Oyster phase recently especially the 1675. I change out the bezel in my GMT frequently. Also, Steel or straps or nato or perlon, etc. Highly versatile piece. I would definitely recommend it as a GEN purchase and investment. Prices are rising steadily.

"My story. My watch."

My steel phase

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next