Post Re: Post Pictures of Your Pocket Watches
Albatross wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess two of them are 699 :)

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 am
Watch Wizard

Restoring process.

Fully service and centre brass replacement by our master Yoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:19 am

now that is quite something. :clap: :clap: :clap:

franken mille metri (bronzo) Mark 1 (ENGRAVED DIAL)
franken mille metri (bronzo) Mark 2 (TROPIC PLEXI)

Upcoming builds
alu mille metri (rip)?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36290&p=482845&hilit=franken+bronzo#p482845
______
DIY made easier- everything you wanted to know •
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4359&p=39253#p39253

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:13 am

Nice thread!

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 am

One inherited from my granddad ...

:)

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 am
Watch Fanatic

Nikola Tesla wrote:
One inherited from my granddad ...

:)

That's a cute little 12 size Burlington. They were made by Illinois Watch Company under contract for Burlington and were mostly sold mail order. Here's a link to a neat little article about them.
http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histor ... ngton.html
By the way yours is missing the regulator spring (or swan neck as people keep insisting on calling it). I know where to get one... :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm
Watch Wizard

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:40 pm
VIP Member

Torgoen wrote:

A Hampden, W. McKinley, he was a governor of Ohio back then. They named their watches after presidents, chairmen, governors and factory owners and so on.

I would avoid letting this run very much, all old watches will benefit from cleaning and oiling to avoid damage to pinions and jewels.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:09 am
Watch Wizard

Yoda wrote:
Torgoen wrote:

A Hampden, W. McKinley, he was a governor of Ohio back then. They named their watches after presidents, chairmen, governors and factory owners and so on.

I would avoid letting this run very much, all old watches will benefit from cleaning and oiling to avoid damage to pinions and jewels.

I confirm ... I see that you are an excellent judge. :thumbup:

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm
Watch Wizard

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 pm
Watch Geek

Edward Prior for Ottoman market and I have one more ;)

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 am
VIP Member

5ah1n wrote:
Edward Prior for Ottoman market and I have one more ;)

That is one weird outer case! I like the tortoise shell inner case, if it wasn´t for the turtle swimming naked or even worse, dead.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm
Moderator & Village Idiot

Update...always thinking of naked turtles.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm
Elite Member

Some modest mollies

some working, others will be checked and repaired most likely (not by me)
and will be used for some project i hope

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=40300
Builds :
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40716

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 am
Watch Geek

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 am
VIP Member

I am not quite sure, but this may be the first and last time you see one of these.
It is a Hamilton 18 size grade 923 made for Imperial Canada between 1900-1905 and from a thousand ordered and made there are less than five known left.
It came to me as a wreck and it took me a few years to complete with original parts, I should mention that it is my own.

The name Waltham inside the case is not the watch company Waltham, but the case maker.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am
Watch Fanatic

Yoda wrote:
I am not quite sure, but this may be the first and last time you see one of these.
It is a Hamilton 18 size grade 923 made for Imperial Canada between 1900-1905 and from a thousand ordered and made there are less than five known left.
It came to me as a wreck and it took me a few years to complete with original parts, I should mention that it is my own.

The name Waltham inside the case is not the watch company Waltham, but the case maker.

Very nice M! The grade 923 is scarce, and the ones marked Imperial Canada are scarcer. I've never seen one in person and I've been messing with American pocket watches for the better part of 4 decades. Now you need to find a nice hunting case for it!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm
VIP Member

unreformed66 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Very nice M! The grade 923 is scarce, and the ones marked Imperial Canada are scarcer. I've never seen one in person and I've been messing with American pocket watches for the better part of 4 decades. Now you need to find a nice hunting case for it!

Nooohooo, no way, it came in this case and it will stay in this case. I think that I read somewhere that these RR watches had to be in an open face case.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm
Watch Fanatic

Yoda wrote:
unreformed66 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Nooohooo, no way, it came in this case and it will stay in this case. I think that I read somewhere that these RR watches had to be in an open face case.

That's not the original case for that watch. If you look at the picture you can see an extra case screw mark on the case by the balance cock which tells me that another brand of movement has been in it at one time. Railroad grade watches did have to be in open face cases, but they also had to wind at 12, have an Arabic numeral dial, and so on. The Hamilton you have would have never been a railroad approved watch on American lines even in the early days when 15 jewel watches were still permitted but I don't know what Canada's rules were. And after saying all of that, if you ever want to get rid of it keep me in mind!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:09 pm
VIP Member

unreformed66 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
unreformed66 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

That's not the original case for that watch. If you look at the picture you can see an extra case screw mark on the case by the balance cock which tells me that another brand of movement has been in it at one time. Railroad grade watches did have to be in open face cases, but they also had to wind at 12, have an Arabic numeral dial, and so on. The Hamilton you have would have never been a railroad approved watch on American lines even in the early days when 15 jewel watches were still permitted but I don't know what Canada's rules were. And after saying all of that, if you ever want to get rid of it keep me in mind!

I know that it isn´t the original case for obvious reasons, but I let it be as I don´t know why and when it happened. What I do know is that this is one of those from a special order placed by Imperial Canada with Hamilton, those were specified with this dial and hands.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next